The content database of SharePoint Portal Server 2003 ends with 1_SITE like Abc1_SITE and for MOSS 2007 the convention is WSS_Content_ (followed by large string of numbers).
In order to take the backup of this database either it is in SQL Server 2000 or SQL Server 2005 follows the steps:
1. On your database server, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server, and then click Enterprise Manager.
2. In SQL Server Enterprise Manager, click the plus sign next to Microsoft SQL Servers.
3. Click the plus sign next to SQL Server Group.
4. Click the plus sign next to (local) (Windows NT).
5. Click the plus sign next to Databases.
6. Right-click the database you want to back up, point to All Tasks, and then click Backup Database.
7. In the SQL Server Backup dialog box, in the Name box, specify a name for the backup, and then in the Backup area, select Database – complete.
8. In the Destination area, either select an existing destination, or:
a. Click Add.
b. In the Select Backup Destination box, select File Name, and then next to the File Name box, click the Browse button.
c. In the Backup Device Location – (local) dialog box, in the File name box, type a file name, and then click OK.
d. Click OK again to close the Select Backup Destination dialog box.
9. Click OK to start the backup process.
10. Click OK to acknowledge that the backup process has completed.
Repeat these steps to back up the databases that are used by SharePoint Portal Server 2003 in your environment, except for the configuration and component settings (search) databases.
For SQL Server 2005
1. On your database server, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then click SQL Server Management Studio.
2. In the Connect to Server box, fill in the connection information, and then click Connect.
3. After connecting to the appropriate instance of the SQL Server 2005 Database Engine, in Object Explorer, click the server name to expand the server tree.
4. Expand Databases, right-click the database you want to back up, point to Tasks, and then click Back Up. The Back Up Database dialog box appears.
5. In the Source section, in the Database box, verify the database name.
6. In the Backup type box, select Full.
7. Under Backup component, click Database.
8. In the Name text box, either accept the default backup set name that is suggested or type a different name for the backup set.
9. In the Destination section, choose the type of backup destination by clicking Disk or Tape, and then select a destination. To create a different destination, click Add.
10. Click OK to start the backup process.