SharePoint Upgrade Error on Individual sites – Gradual Approach

Scenario:
When we tried to upgrade individual site from SharePoint 2003 to MOSS 2007, individual site upgrade resulted error:
Please refer to the upgrade log at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Logs\Upgrade.log and the trace log for additional information.

Status Job failed
Mode Side-By-Side
Elapsed Time 
Starting object SPMigratableSiteCollection Parent=SPManager
Current object 
Current action 
Step within the action 
Total steps in this action 
Server  ABC
It gave me two options, either resume or delete. I checked Upgrade.log and it has following entry:

[SPSiteCollectionMigrator] [DEBUG] [7/30/2008 3:08:01 PM]: ————- Begin SPMigratableSiteCollection ————-
[SPSiteCollectionMigrator] [DEBUG] [7/30/2008 3:08:01 PM]: SPSite Url=http://abc/sites/xyz
[SPSiteCollectionMigrator] [DEBUG] [7/30/2008 3:08:01 PM]: ————– End SPMigratableSiteCollection ————–
[SPServerSequence] [DEBUG] [7/30/2008 3:08:01 PM]: [SPServer Name=SQL10 Parent=SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config] BuildVersion = 12.0.0.4518.
[SPServerSequence] [DEBUG] [7/30/2008 3:08:01 PM]: [SPServer Name=SQL10 Parent=SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config] SchemaVersion = 3.0.2.0.
[SearchServiceInstanceSequence] [DEBUG] [7/30/2008 3:08:01 PM]: [SPServer Name=SQL10 Parent=SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config] SchemaVersion = 12.0.1.0.
[SPServerSequence] [DEBUG] [7/30/2008 3:08:01 PM]: [SPServer Name=SQL10 Parent=SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config] BuildVersion = 12.0.0.4518.
[SPServerSequence] [DEBUG] [7/30/2008 3:08:01 PM]: [SPServer Name=SQL10 Parent=SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config] SchemaVersion = 3.0.2.0.
[SearchServiceInstanceSequence] [DEBUG] [7/30/2008 3:08:01 PM]: [SPServer Name=SQL10 Parent=SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config] SchemaVersion = 12.0.1.0.
[SPUtility] [DEBUG] [7/30/2008 3:08:01 PM]: File C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\60\Template\sql\store.sql, Time out = 600 sec
[SPSiteCollectionMigrator] [DEBUG] [7/30/2008 3:08:17 PM]: PregrowTempDatabase: computing the size of temp db.
[SPSiteCollectionMigrator] [DEBUG] [7/30/2008 3:08:17 PM]: PregrowTempDatabase: target size 20 MB.
[SPSiteCollectionMigrator] [DEBUG] [7/30/2008 3:08:17 PM]: SPContentDatabase2 Name=EnPointe1_SITE Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance FullTextSearchEnabled: True
[SPManager] [ERROR] [7/30/2008 4:08:18 PM]: Migrate [SPMigratableSiteCollection Parent=SPManager] failed.
[SPManager] [ERROR] [7/30/2008 4:08:18 PM]: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
[SPManager] [ERROR] [7/30/2008 4:08:18 PM]:    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlCommand command)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPContentDatabase2.set_FullTextSearchEnabled(Boolean value)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPSiteCollectionMigrator.Migrate()
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPManager.Migrate(Object o, Boolean bRecurse)
[SPManager] [DEBUG] [7/30/2008 4:08:18 PM]: Elapsed time migrating [SPMigratableSiteCollection Parent=SPManager]: 01:00:17.0340845.
[SPManager] [INFO] [7/30/2008 4:08:18 PM]: Gradual Upgrade session finishes. root object = SPMigratableSiteCollection Parent=SPManager, recursive = True. 1 errors and 0 warnings encountered.
[SPManager] [DEBUG] [7/30/2008 4:08:18 PM]: Removing exclusive upgrade regkey by setting the mode to none

Workaround:

When you have the situation where “Resume” and “Delete” buttons are available for site upgrade. Open “upgrade.log” and look for [ERROR]. Check the line preceding the line where [ERROR] is written and you will find entry with a GUID like following:
[SPWebTemplateSequence] [DEBUG] [7/30/2008 3:08:01 PM]: Template SPSSITES#0: Activating feature a311bf68-c990-4da3-89b3-88989a3d7721 in site with URL “http://abc/xyz“, force=False.
Note GUID:a311bf68-c990-4da3-89b3-88989a3d7721. Go to STSADM.exe and run the following command:
stsadm –o activefeature –id GUID –url http://abc/xyz
Click on resume button and if the status remains same, repeat this until error is removed.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: